New Year, New You! What You Need to Know About General Nutrition

With so many cookbooks, meal plans, and diet fads out there, nutrition can be a tricky topic to understand. However, gaining that knowledge is so important, as even the most basic information about how to fuel your body can set you on the path for a healthier life. Keep reading to learn five basic nutrition trips.

Five Basic Nutrition Tips

Here are five basic nutrition tips to support you as you strive for a healthy and well-rounded diet:

  1. Eat whole foods: Focus on things that come from the earth and limit your intake of packaged, processed foods. When you’re grocery shopping, stay along the outer walls of the store, as that’s where you’ll most likely find fruits, vegetables, beans, and lean sources of protein.
  2. Pay attention to portions: As you fill your plate, think about your portion sizes. For instance, one serving of cereal is often a cup to a cup and a half — but most cereal bowls can easily hold twice that. A serving of nuts is just three tablespoons, which is much smaller than you think. Start measuring out your food to get a better idea of how much you should be eating per meal or sick.
  3. Focus on your macronutrients: Every meal and snack should include the three macronutrients: carbohydrates (carbs), protein, and fat. Most individuals can enjoy a healthy lifestyle if their diet consists of 50 percent carbs, 20 percent protein, and 30 percent fat. You can play around with these ratios to figure out what makes you feel your best. Through a balanced diet and supplements, if needed, you can get the micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) that you need.
  4. Listen to your body: It sounds simple but truly listening to your body while eating can be a difficult skill to master. Try to find a balance between hunger and fullness. Stop eating when you’re no longer hungry and just starting to feel full. The best way to accomplish this goal is to be mindful during meals and snacks. Try to avoid grabbing a magazine to read or watching the television. Instead, just focus on each bite and how it makes you feel.
  5. Limit alcohol and sweets: Completely removing alcohol or dessert from your diet just sets you up for failure. After all, we always want what we can’t have, right? Instead, try to make good food choices 80 percent of the time, allowing yourself that glass of wine or holiday treat the other 20 percent. 

Bonus tip: Intermittent fasting is a popular health trend right now – and for good reason! It’s an eating pattern that cycles between periods of fasting and eating, focusing on when you eat rather than what you eat. This regimen can help you lose weight and improve your overall health by decreasing the amount of time in your “eating window.” For instance, the 16/8 method of intermittent fasting involves daily 16-hour fasts with 8-hour eating periods.

How Platinum Primary Care Can Help

With 2021 just around the corner, let Platinum Primary Care help you get healthy in the New Year. Dr. Asha Tota-Maharaj is passionate about her patients, giving personalized, high-quality care as evidenced by her compassionate bedside manner and exemplary communication skills. Whether you are an experienced athlete or reluctant exerciser, a relatively healthy individual, or someone recovering from a serious medical condition, she can help you reach your goals. Food plays a huge role in each individual’s health, and with a basic understanding of general nutrition, you can look and feel your best.

For additional information about basic nutrition, weight management, and more, reach out to Dr. Asha Tota-Maharaj, MD at Platinum Primary Care